Low Temp Thermostat

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sol2nr

i have a jdm b16a in my del sol. I plan on running a 35shot within the next two months, getting hondata s200b also by that time, and a JRSC by may 04. I want to get a low temp thermostat, but what temp should I get? I don't want to waste the money on a spoon one, so what company should i get thats not very expensive? Is there any drawback to lowering the thermo temp besides my heat not being as hot?

thanks,
-ROB

a motor is designed to run at a cerain temp... hondas, 185 degrees. why try to lower it to 165?
lower motor temp does NOT equal colder air to the intake or a better burn. it just makes your radiator work twice as hard to keep it cool.

i was thinking that myself. I was thinking that the ECU reads engine temp and changes things according to that, and messing with the thermostat would create problems, but then how or why does spoon and mugen and other companies have low temp thermostats?

i am also curious my car was in a accident and i got a radiator out of it i opted for a fluidyne for a little extra $ so i was thinking i could prob bear to drop 5or 10 degrees on the thermostat temp and still be good do you know if that would be good since i have added compresion to the motor?

i got the mugen thermoswitch and thermostat in my b16..runs cool...you need to get both,cuz if you dont get the fan thermoswitch then the fan wont come on earlier and if you just get the thermostat then...nevermind dont wanna explain im in outer space

Originally posted by omega11855@Aug 26 2003, 11:39 PM
or u could just run switch to the fan so it is always on when the car is on like my friend h4h4h4h4hh4h4

Doesn't that kill his power at all?

I know when my fan kicks on it kills the power, like the voltage goes down and the car shakes like mad but then again I am running dual FAL's.

Originally posted by sol2nr@Jun 3 2003, 10:19 PM
but then how or why does spoon and mugen and other companies have low temp thermostats?

Because those companies car are designed to be run much longer, and much faster, than your daily driver.

so there is no point in getting a 5 degree or 10 degree lower thermostat if u have raised the compression of your motor? and are running a better then stock radiator?

Originally posted by omega11855@Aug 28 2003, 04:28 PM
so there is no point in getting a 5 degree or 10 degree lower thermostat if u have raised the compression of your motor? and are running a better then stock radiator?

I am using the stock replacment fanswitch and thermostat, and a fluidyne, even when I am beating my motor like it stole my daughters virginity, it doesn't make the temp gauge move.

:withstupid:
im running the same setup (fluidyne radiator, stock fan, switch, thermostat)
i can do 30min runs on a road course fully abusing the VTEC lobes and my temps dont move

spoon and mugen make those kind of parts to pretty much rip us off, if you do want a lower then do get a lower one from discount auto for like 7 bucks but please dont' spend your cashish '60 bucks' on some thermostat from japan.

Like I said before use your stocker.

Milan

ok so just out o curiousity under what conditions would a daily driver need a lower temp thermostat and what is stock temp on a type-r to begin with?

nice hahahahah
so even 5degrees wouldnt be worth it
i remember reading somewhere that the stock temp sensor gauge is crappy and that the temp can move a large amount before actually showing anything on the factory gauge so have you ever tried to verify with an autometer that ur temp isnt moving that drastically

Originally posted by omega11855@Aug 29 2003, 08:29 AM
nice hahahahah
so even 5degrees wouldnt be worth it
i remember reading somewhere that the stock temp sensor gauge is crappy and that the temp can move a large amount before actually showing anything on the factory gauge so have you ever tried to verify with an autometer that ur temp isnt moving that drastically

I live in Germany and drive on the autobahn, I take daily 120mph trips to other towns, for extended periods of time, on like i said, the stock therm. and fan. no problems what so ever.

that makes me feel better 120 fuck on a b16 u must be at like 6500

i run road course with the same cooling setup (fluidyne rad, stock everything else) im repeatedly acclerating from 60 - 120 for about 30 min for each of 4 runs (2 hours total) every time i go..... i have never had any coolant issues

Back