H22a Into 92-95 Civic Hb

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

zx3focus

alright, i basically am looking for an h22 or powerful engine to throw into a 92-95 hb. i want to build this to be all-motor, no turbo's or nothing. mostly will be used for daily driving, with some strip use. few questions though:
1. if i can get a prelude engine from a junkyard, does it matter if it runs or if i cant test it? bc i am planning on fully rebuilding it anyways.
2. which years for the prelude should i look for?
3. would you recommend any other engine for what i am looking to do, if so, what engine and why?
4. will this still handle fairly well? if not, why?

thanks a lot guys, help lead me to my dream car!!!

peace

Originally posted by zx3focus@Jan 30 2003, 11:00 PM
alright, i basically am looking for an h22 or powerful engine to throw into a 92-95 hb. i want to build this to be all-motor, no turbo's or nothing. mostly will be used for daily driving, with some strip use. few questions though:
1. if i can get a prelude engine from a junkyard, does it matter if it runs or if i cant test it? bc i am planning on fully rebuilding it anyways.
3. would you recommend any other engine for what i am looking to do, if so, what engine and why?

peace

Articles,swap and reference tabs above.Lots of good info. :D

Originally posted by zx3focus@Jan 30 2003, 05:00 PM

peace

1) Yes this matters because you don't want to get one with a cracked block. This is very hard to tell without starting it up. Not to say it will have some kind of hidden problem like this, but it is very possible. Non-Running engines are just that, non running. For some reason or another.

2) 92+... The 92-95 will be OBD1 with the 96+ being OBD2
If I'm right.. the OBD1 should be easier to swap since thats an OBD1 chasis.

3) Line racing? H22 is a great engine. Stick with it. You *should* be able to keep AC if you have it (I'm not sure about PS), but the HA Sport mounts say they will let you keep AC. Check them out.

4) As long as you don't plan on Auto-Xing then the engine should be fine. It is 70lbs more than a B18 (im pretty sure). Get a CF hood and relocate the battery to the trunk and it will be just about the same weight distribution. Just get good suspension and you should be fine.

To add to Hexen:

1. A running engine is always better... fewer problems to troubleshoot, even if you're rebuilding
2. 92-95 is OBD 1, 96+ is OBD 2 ... match OBD revs to your chassis
3. One of my friends dropped an H22 in on his own and kept both AC and PS with a bracket he ordered... don't remember where though. You can definitely keep AC and PS with the H22.
4. Yup, 70 pounds more.

All and all everything above is correct. I would say that the h22 swap is well worth it. I am currently in the middle of my swap. I went with a 99' h22a4 for a few reasons. I just personally think that the new the motor, obviously the more improvements honda has made to it. The only few differences between the h22a1 (obd1, 92-95) and the h22a4 (obd2 97+) is the open deck and closed deck block. The h22a4 does have about 5 more hp. Then u also have the differences between the USDM and JDM versions of the 2. If you plan to go forced induction then you wanna get a USDM swap due to the lower compression ratio, but if you are gonna ride natrually asp. then u wanna stick with the JDM swap due to the higher compression. All in all the h22 has a lot more potential then a gs-r or its bigge-R brothe-R (and far cheaper).

Second part of your question...i would not buy a motor that you cant hear/see run unless they give you a good warranty. I work at a junk yard (G&G Auto Recycling), and I can definately say that you can get some good stuff from a junk yard. I got my swap for a yard we go thru, the motor came out of a 99 lude that someone totaled with 30 day tags still on the car. 972 miles on it, barely even broke in. If you do go with the h22a4 you are gonna have to run an obd1 ecu (p13) or your gonna have to get the imobalizer taken out of your obd2 and mess with a few other things. Mounts are obviously very crutial, and I would recommend using HCP mounts. They are half the price of HASports and work just as good, and yes they make an A/C braket but you have to use the EG A/C compressor.

Finally, once you get the bad boy running your looking at mid 12s stock. If you remain interested in the swap..good luck...and if you need any advise or help, feel free to post or e-mail me:
xxgrapeapexx@hotmail.com

VTEC...the only replacement for displacement

Back