D15b2 to d16z6 engine swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BionicDude1213

Hello everyone, this is my first post to the forum and I'm hoping this could others that might be doing this swap too.
So I'm swapping my D15b2 engine from my 1988 crx Dx to a d16z6 block.
(1) I was wondering if the b2 crankshaft would work for this swap? (i was put the b2 crank into the z6 without any size problems)
(2) I will also be using the z6 piston and rods if those will work?
(3) I will be using the z6 v-tech head and was wondering if that will also swap fine?

Hi, welcome.

Any reason why you aren't just doing a full z6 swap? or a mini-me (just the vtec head)? I'm not sure why you're going down the route of tearing apart internals when a complete block like a z6 is pretty cheap.
Well, I was able to get a Z6 bare block and pistons for fairly cheap and saw that most of the parts except the crank and pistons were the same for the engines. I had previously hyrdolocked my b2 and was going to take it apart anyways to clean it and sell whatever parts i wasnt going to use for the swap and this provided a great learning opportunity for me to learn how to tear down the engine and the different part considering this is the first engine I have pulled and since these engines aren't as complex as newer ones. Well anyways I just really couldn't find anything online about the difference in the cranks online. (I am also swapping the transmission to a manual and swapping to MPFI and decided this would be a good opportunity to do it all)

Unfortunately, a d15 crank doesn't work in a d16 block. The deck heights are different, the rod bolt location is different, and there's just no 'real' combo of rods/pistons/crank that lines up flush to the top of the deck as far as i'm aware.

plus, if you hydro locked it, chances are you may have a bent rod or something else that you can't see with your eyes.

you should be able find z6 internals for next to nothing on marketplace or ebay.

Unfortunately, a d15 crank doesn't work in a d16 block. The deck heights are different, the rod bolt location is different, and there's just no 'real' combo of rods/pistons/crank that lines up flush to the top of the deck as far as i'm aware.

plus, if you hydro locked it, chances are you may have a bent rod or something else that you can't see with your eyes.

you should be able find z6 internals for next to nothing on marketplace or ebay.
Ok thank you! i will look into getting the z6 crank

Back